Advocacy aims to influence decisions, engaging in a series of actions to change “what is” into a “what should be.” There are several approaches to advocacy.
Advocacy strategies can:
– Question the way policy is administered
– Open up space for public argumentation.
– Influence agendas by raising significant issues
– Target political systems that are not responding to the public good
– Propose policy solutions
Methods used can include:
– Media and public awareness campaigns
– Public testimony
– Publishing research
– Pushing to pass or defeat proposed laws